The new option is said to affect push notifications on desktop and mobile, as well as notification badges on both the Chat and Gmail apps.
As part of the new options, users will be able to set their notification preferences to these three options:
- Notify always: In this case, users will receive a notification for every message and new messages will be badged.
- Notify less: In this case, users receive notifications and badges for direct mentions, @all mentions, and followed threads. Additionally, there is an option to be notified about new threads in threaded rooms.
- Notifications off: In this case, users will receive no notifications, but you’ll see a badge if you’re directly mentioned.
If you are wondering how to make changes to your Chat notifications then this is what you need to do:
On the left menu, click the name of the Room or the group direct message to open the conversation.
Once the chat loads click on the Down arrow next to the name of the Room or the group direct message
Click Notifications and select an option
- Notify always: you’ll get push notifications and a notification dot for all new messages.
- Notify less: you’ll get push notifications and a notification dot when you’re @mentioned, a followed thread gets a new message, or if someone uses @all.
- Notifications off – you won’t get any push notifications, but @mentions and @all will continue to get a notification dot.
This feature has been rolled out to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers and is currently being rolled out in a staged manner.